Wednesday, November 9, 2011

versailles and a history lesson

Photobucket

Obviously pretending to be Mary-Kate and Ashley (avec Hannah). About the outfit- literally the same as this. Sorry about it, there is only so much you can do while dressing yourself out of backpack for 10 days. Oh, and I had to wear the gold sweater to match superfluous shit like this:

Photobucket

Really? It's fine, the people of France didn't need to eat in 1789.

Above photos stolen from Sanaz

Photobucket

The grave of Molière. Wait, why would Molière be buried in the middle of a street outside the Palace of Versailles? It's just an electricity box painted as a headstone. That makes sense.

Photobucket

Toys for the children, larger than the servants quarters.


Photobucket

Beautiful. . .

Photobucket

. . . and fresh.


Photobucket

We went exploring, got lost, and came upon this. I still have no idea what it is, but it's in Versailles. We kept wandering and found a tourist free hidden gem:


Photobucket

Marie Antoinette's theater

Well, we trekked it out to Versailles in the rain to experience the grandeur of the French. If you didn't know, Versailles was the work of King Louis XIV, yet the people pretty much dug the guy (he reigned for 7 decades) and didn't care about the crazy monarchy spending until poor King Louis XVI, who was only king for 17 years before shit got real. If I hadn't fully comprehended why the French were just a little bit peeved, after having seen Versailles, I sure as hell do now. The entire compound is unreal beautiful, but still it made me sick. I couldn't walk through the palace without thinking about how much bread grain the unnecessary silk damask walls would be worth. It makes me wonder- though I've been conditioned to not think twice about the environment around me, what would an exploited sweatshop worker think if they walked through my house? History's parallels are much more prevalent than we'd like to believe. Stay aware y'all.

4 comments:

  1. I was obsessed with Marie Antoinette's gardens aka huge A** park. It was raining but we stayed there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely,
    I ove this outfit!!You look so pretty;) Lovely pics!
    I just found your blog,it's very cute.I added to your followers!Follow back?:)
    Have a great week
    Xoxo
    Mary
    Fashion tea at 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sensing anger....if you want REAL anger at Versailles, try to drive your wheelchair across the mile long cobblestone entrance. For a week, I talked like I had swallow an electric message instrument. My urine actually produced foam. Brutal, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a cute American girl in France! So this blog is COOL! For all the techy things I'm into... I have no idea how blogging works??? I'm not even sure how I got here, but I think I clicked a photo on your mom's FB wall. Will I ever be able to find it again? :) Keep sharing your adventures for us to enjoy! Lots of love, Melissa <3

    Oh great, I have to choose a profile to post, and I don't have any of the choices. :( I'll try anonymous...

    ReplyDelete